The KX3 Companion in an app that will let the power use of your Elecraft KX3 HF radio easier and lighter. No need for a PC!
It will let you send and receive CW, PSK31 and RTTY by using your mobile phone or tablet keyboard. Optionally you can use an external Bluetooth keyboard connected to your Android device.
You can set up to 10 macros to that can use dynamic symbols to have Call, Name, QTH and Locator automatically updated.
It connects to your KX3 by using the USB Serial cable that comes with the radio. You’ll also need an inexpensive OTG Cable adapter to connect the serial USB to your mobile device. You can find them for a very few dollars. No other cables are needed!
The KX3 Companion app also let you record full QSOs and log them to eventually export them to your favourite QSO logging software and/or service.
With the new SWR Meter functionality you can sweep a frequency range and the app shows you a chart with SWR values. You can select from 3 to 13 steps, each step can be from 5 to 500 kHz. The maximum number of steps depend on the screen size and orientation.
NEW FEATURE: Audio Spectrum and Waterfall!
Selecting the “SPECTRUM” tool, the app shows the audio spectrum. For devices allowing that, you can also attach the KX3 Audio OUT to the device Audio IN for a better signal. The spectrum shows the DSP filter center frequency and its bandwidth. By touching the spectrum you can also see the shift and frequency of every single line. You can zoom in and out to have larger spectrum bandwidth.
Selecting the “WATERFALL” tool, you can see how the spectrum evolved over time. It is very useful feature to spot every signal even the weakest ones!
NOW with touch QSY! To center a signal you simply have to touch the waterfall/spectrum, move your finger to center the signal you want to listen/decode, and release. Now the KX3 is perfectly centered with the new signal and you can start decoding and transmitting.
With KX3 Companion you can:
- Send and receive CW, PSK31 and RTTY using your Android device keyboard (or even a Bluetooth physical Keyboard)
- Read and Write messages with room for hundreds of chars (depending on your mobile phone or tablet screen size)
- XMIT (Chat) Mode – Transmit as you type. Perfect mode to be used with an external Bluetooth keyboard.
- Switch mode (CW, PSK31, RTTY)
- Set the frequency and go up/down bands
- Record and recall up to 10 totally customized macros
- 4 dynamic symbols for Call, Name, QTH and Locator to be used on macros (you can customize the symbols)
- Set the CW WPM (Words Per Minute) value with a slider
- Have up to 10 presets to set power, ATU or whatever you want to program (20 macros on tablet with large enough displays)
- Customize the serial baudrate, dynamic symbols and date formats to adapt the app to your setup and needs
- Record and share full QSO logs (everything you send and receive is recorded and saved in a text file)
- Log your QSO in CSV and ADIF format and send them via email or to any external service supported by your mobile device (log date, time, mode, frequency, call, name, qth and locator)
- Log received/send RST and received/sent contest serial numbers
- Audio Spectrum and Waterfall with touch QSY to easy find and center signals!
- SWR Meter to sweep a frequency range and see the SWR values over that range
- Compatible with Elecraft K3 as well
- Support for remote control of the KX3. Instructions here: http://kx3companion.com/kx3remote
- Support for Piglet (http://pignology.net/piglet) Wifi Serial interface. Instructions here: http://kx3companion.com/piglet
And that is just a start. We are planning more features like ADIF and eQSL.cc support.
Please read the MANUAL to fully understand the potential of KX3Companion.
If you’d like to see some contact us at email@example.com or link to our new forum:
Remember that to connect the Elecraft KX3 to your mobile device you need the serial USB cable coming with the radio and an OTG USB cable adapter. Also make sure that your device is not locked to the use of OTG cables. Some carriers (like Sprint Wireless) may do so. Please check with their customer service.